RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » General Forums » Open Discussion » Kamala And "Coach" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Kamala And "Coach"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that it appears more likely than not Joe will withdraw, it further appears that Kamala will get a "draft notice" from the Democratic "elders".

In common with other contenders, like Amy, Gavin, Gretchen, and Kathy, Kamala wants to stay "fresh for '28". But then again, considering her low popularity, some may hold hold she is a reason that Joe's campaign has imploded. That is to say if she were perceived as a strong and forceful VP, who was influential in formulating Joe's legislative initiatives and administative policies (rather than Jill), she could portray an image of "vote for Joe; if something happens, I'm here, in the loop, and ready to take over".

The photos of FDR at Yalta were as telling as was Joe at the Debate, but how much "prepping" was Truman being given to "take over"? Lest we forget, he had no knowledge of "the bomb", yet he stepped right up, and made the decision to use it. For this and his guidance as the Cold War took shape, as well as a "hot one" in Korea, the Notable Scholars have given him the ranking of "6th best" president.

So maybe, assuming there is still a race with Trump now holding "the ultimate Get Out Of Jail Free" card given to him by "his" Supremes, Kamala may be the key for that chance. She's smart, good looking, a minority woman, and with administrative skills honed in a state with an economy larger than all but four sovereign nations on this planet.

addendum: Wall Street Journal

Posts: 10745 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harris’ popularity has not increased since 2019. She may be the favorite of people like Obama, but that is a huge negative for her in and of itself. Never mind self-admitted communist Van Jones (current CNN commentator and former green jobs czar for Obama until his political proclivities were uncovered), who says that there are Democrats attempting to push her as the forerunner.

The Hill
quote:
“I think people are hoping that [Biden] will recognize we’re running Kamala Harris for president right now. That’s who we’re running,” Jones added later, saying many Democrats “love” Biden but do not think he will be able to defeat Trump in November.

Jones, pointing to the increasing number of House Democrats over the weekend calling on Biden to step aside from the 2024 race, argued the president’s insistence on staying in is preventing Harris from being able to make a viable case to the American people.

“Nobody believes Joe Biden can be president in four years. And so, we’re in the worst possible world because she can’t defend herself, she has to defend him,” Jones said. “We can’t defend her; we have to defend him. We’re basically running Kamala Harris anyway, let’s run Kamala Harris and let her get out there and defend herself.”

“The reality is we are running Kamala Harris for president one way or the other. I’d rather run for president in the strongest way rather than the weakest way,” he added. …

Last week, Jones suggested Democrats, behind closed doors, are discussing “how” to replace Biden at the top of the ticket, “not whether.” …

Jones is certainly not correct when he says “strongest way” in the context he’s using.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Helfner, I recognize The Hill as a respected media outlet.

This past Sunday Times has at least three columnists, all previously solid for Joe, holding that he had best withdraw and hope that somehow some other Democrat can "get lucky" and defeat Trump.

Joe certainly cannot and I doubt if any other Democrat, including Kamala, can with less than four months to build a campaign organization.

The problem, and I think a big one, is that until the Debate, Joe's handlers deceptively hid the truth from the Electorate, including many a Democrat will start asking of whomever is the nominee, "what is being hidden from us".

And even as he becomes a former president is six months, Joe's legacy, owing to the willful deception, which to me is "up there" with Watergate that he and his handlers "tried to pull" on the voters, will be forever tarnished. The Notable Scholars, who do not rate a president until he has completed a term, could easily place him at 41, or one above Trump, who would move down to 42 (the three below - Pierce, A. Johnson, Buchanan - were essentially "traitors"). Trump could of course redeem himself during his POTUS47 term with solid legislative and policy actions.

The fifty years of public service, most of it faithful and impeccable, will amount to nothing. I wish he had read the Please Joe topic I originated here.

So sad, so tragic.

I'll vote of course; it's my duty as a citizen. But, if Joe is still on the ballot, it won't be for him. It could easily be for a "write in" named "Present".

addendum: a forceful Journal column.

Posts: 10745 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This report appearing today in The Times certainly suggests that Kamala will be the Democratic nominee.

Fair Use:
quote:
Ms. Harris has been harshly critical of Mr. Trump in the past, but at campaign events in the last two days, as an increasing number of Democrats question whether President Biden has the ability to beat Mr. Trump in November and the acuity to serve another four years, she has been far more explicit about the dangers she sees in a Trump second term. Ms. Harris has emerged as a top replacement for Mr. Biden at the top of the Democratic ticket should he drop out of the race.
While I think there is "a lot" going on behind the scenes, such as possibly "nominating" Joe prior to the Convention by teleconference, so that he can step down and the $100M war chest will be available to other candidates. The Convention would then become the Coronation (free airtime, lest we forget) that they all have become over the past forty eight years since'76; when at the Republican, there was a "floor fight" between Ford and Reagan. Kamala's likely General Election defeat would be the end of her political career.

As I've noted, "the others" all want to "lay low" so that they are "fresh for '28"; that assumes there will be a Presidential Election at that time.

What would be interesting, but will never be known, is would have Joe lost by a narrower margin than will Kamala? The corollary is of course what if Joe were to have not sought reelection announcing such during the window he announced to the opposite, could have any Democrat beaten Trump?

But finally, Kamala had best start getting her message out to more representative constituencies than to a "Historically Black" sorority. She is of course going to have unanimous support there, but let's try it on before an audience of voters-at-large.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
This report appearing today in The Times certainly suggests that Kamala will be the Democratic nominee.

. . . . . . .

But finally, Kamala had best start getting her message out to more representative constituencies than to a "Historically Black" sorority. She is of course going to have unanimous support there, but let's try it on before an audience of voters-at-large.

I think having Kamala as the Dem nominee would be a death wish. Why anyone that would not vote for Biden, currently sinking into senility would chose the "Hey I am black" cackling dingbat is beyond me. As an aside, she is about the lightest person claiming to be black I have ever seen. In the days of segregation, she could "pass" for white. In fact, if she appeared at a black school in those days, she would probably have been told, "Honey you have come to the wrong building."
Posts: 2953 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Girl, you're "it"!!!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Instead of Joe blanketly endorsing Kamala, there should be an Open Convention. Back to the smoke filled rooms (well; no smoking, air conditioning, and women participating) as it was through '52 - and still is when the Roman Catholic Church chooses a new Pope.

While Messrs. Harris and Helfner likely disagree, the Democrats have a "deep bench" - Gavin, Gretchen, JB, Josh, Kathy - and others not coming to mind. If Kamala wins, they all will have to defer to her for '28 meaning their first crack will be '32.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking the ticket's gonna be Harris/Beshear.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1564 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely agree with Mr. Norman's "deep bench". Unfortunately for the Democrats it is for the "B" or "C" Team, not the "A" Team. The only thing worse than any of those listed would be a Harris/Clinton or Clinton/Harris ticket. Either way, that would leave many people, including me, screaming in horror.
Posts: 2953 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tennessee congressman Andy Ogle filed articles of impeachment against Harris today, citing her mendacity with respect to the illegal alien situation and Biden’s health status. (With respect to point one, she is also accused of dereliction of duty as “border czar”.)

In addition, Quinnipiac has Trump up nine points over Harris at the time of writing.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I'm more inclined than not to agree with Messrs. Harris and Helfner - Donald Trump will be elected POTUS47.

Possibly he will choose to honor the 22nd Amendment and step down in '28; on that point it's a "we shall see" if it is then an open race.

I have a feeling why "The Dem Bench" so shriveled away and endorsed Kamala is that, like myself, they think she will lose. I think that loss will be somewhere between "close" and "decisive". She will concede, and on Jan 6, preside over her defeat in Congress (as did Al Gore). I do not forsee another Jan 6, 2021.

This loss will result in having "The Bench" fresh for '28, which is what they collectively want - and, with the long standing practice of deferring to a sitting POTUS who chooses to run, means they would need not wait until '32.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
quote:
Possibly he will choose to honor the 22nd Amendment and step down in '28; on that point it's a "we shall see" if it is then an open race.

Surely you have not bought into the nonsense that Trump will try to bypass the Constitution and stay in office. I would expect him to be one of the last to try such a thing, and if he did, 90% plus of his support would evaporate instantly. As to those considering the 2020 election possibly being stolen, there are many people out here that think the "Democrats doth protest too much" that no phoney votes occurred.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Harris, lest we forget Trump tried it once after losing an election; what's to stop him from doing so again?

I think any of these "myths" that the '20 election was "stolen" have long since been debunked.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The man just said in a speech that he'll "fix things" so we won't have to vote any more after 2024 - also nonsense?

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1564 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

No he did not. Always check the original.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

quote:
Mr. Harris, lest we forget Trump tried it once after...

I think any of these "myths" that the '20 election was "stolen" have long since been debunked.

Trump tried nothing of the sort. Refer to his re-released tweets after Musk unbanned his account.

And they are not myths. Aside from the statistical impossibility of the alleged 2020 electoral turnout that defied the prior 100-year average, consider the amazing about-face (also impossible statistically) of said electorate with respect to the alleged incumbent. Never mind the courts refusing to permit discovery, which is tyrannical.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Messrs. Harris and Helfner, even if Kamala won by a landslide (she won't; the best the winner, whoever that may be, can expect is "decisive"), Trump will challenge the results. He could even challenge if he is the winner. Look at how his fractured ego challenged the estimated attendance at his '17 Inaugural.

I would not rule out Kamala challenges if she looses "closely". I think the "last gasp" for a traditional concession occurring sometime at "0-dark-30 Wednesday" would have been Joe graceouly conceding to Trump.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by irishchieftain:
And they are not myths. Aside from the statistical impossibility of the alleged 2020 electoral turnout that defied the prior 100-year average, consider the amazing about-face (also impossible statistically) of said electorate with respect to the alleged incumbent.

Mr. Helfner, you, my Sister, and my friends who reside in Rome, GA, which is within Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene's (R-GA14) District.
MontanaJim
Member # 2323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MontanaJim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
The man just said in a speech that he'll "fix things" so we won't have to vote any more after 2024 - also nonsense?

everything trump says is nonsense. yet even "educated" people believe him. reminds me of a cult in my hometown of Montana when i was growing up (cult still there, just fewer members as most people wised up). even doctors, lawyers believed the cult-leader, gave her all their money, they themselves slept on mattresses while the leader laughed all the way to the bank. Except she wasnt a leader of the free world, who kisses the behind of the likes of vladimir putin, encourages mobs to storm the capitol, and throws around top secret documents like they are confetti.
Posts: 458 | From: St. Albans, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by MontanaJim:
everything trump says is nonsense. yet even "educated" people believe him.

Jim; my Sister; Bachelor's Smith, Master's Columbia, but became an Evangelical.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
While this presidential ranking is not the one, namely one of Notable Scholars sponsored by CSPAN that doesn't yet rate Joe and rates Trump 41 of 44, I customarily cite here, this survey of Political Scientists, which appeared yesterday in The Times' Opinion section, ranks Joe 14 of 46 - and Trump "dead last" as the worst president to date.

My Sister's comment was simply "that blasphemous Times; how can you even read that, Gil?" (Barbara, I also read The Journal).

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

quote:
Mr. Helfner, you, my Sister, and my friends who reside in Rome, GA, which is within Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene’s (R-GA14) District.

Well, say hello to her for me. 🙂

My own district, PA’s Eighth, which was redrawn in 2023 (encompasses all of Pike, Wayne, Monroe and Lackawanna Counties as well as slightly over half of Luzerne County) is represented by Democrat Matt Cartwright. The former residents of New Jersey and Philadelphia put the weight on the scale there, not to mention that any Republican that has run against Cartwright has been typically unknown and generally RINO.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well Mr. Helfner, it appears you have not "reloed" since you last disclosed your location.

I can recall passing such circa '60 "on a train" (not named to protect your privity) and seeing a whole string of heavyweight Pullmans "in storage".

Now regarding my block comprising thirty-six houses, I know of three of my neighbors who are "Trumps". Of further interest in town, there is one household whose front yard is decorated to look like a Trump rally, and they have a playlist playing away (not objectionably loud and only during daylight) of Trump rally songs.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I think the two Republican candidates had best start to get their "stump lines" together (Vance: "Childless Cat Ladies": Trump: "Black; is she?") or the outcome less than 100 days away may be a bit different than the smart money thinks at present it will be.
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I posted a month ago that unexpected crap has a way of happening, and the events since 7/21 have "moved the line" for the smart money. As Rick Blaine said in Casablanca, "fate takes a hand." Dazzy Vance, yesterday's debacle, and prisoner exchange on Biden's watch all giving Trump a "very bad, no good, awful, rotten day."

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Volks, I think the VP pick will be Sen.Mark Kelly (D-AZ).

Swing Battleground state; exposure to Border issues.

Democrat will be appointed to fill his seat until 2026.

Astronaut and Gulf War (the last one "we won") service could "peel off" some "macho soft core Trump supporters".

Finally, possibly Gabrielle can hit the trail "a little". There's some of the "sympathy vote" that might otherwise go to Trump.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Still the majority talk is Josh Shapiro for VP. Does not mean anything, obviously.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
True Mr. Helfner, your PA is a swing state, and with 19 of "the votes that count", likely the most important.

While not likely with you, Gov. Shapiro is perceived as a popular and competent governor, and of course any resulting vacancy would be filled by your Democratic Lt. Governor.

That's why I've got my $2.00 on Sen. Kelly; we shall see come tomorrow.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Media is rumor-mongering Tim Walz, governor of MN, at present.

Of course, the only way to truly know will be when she announces on Tuesday, assuming nothing gets in the way of that.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Give Mr. Helfner that White Owl!!!!!
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
With this pick, it's now base vs. base. Dems stand to lose many undecided and so-called moderates, not to mention the Keystone State.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Probably "geographic balance" was a factor. "K & K" would have been "all West". She had to weigh 11 (AZ) v. 10 (MN) but chose to do without that one vote edge (of course who says the VP nominee will carry the home state?).

There was another factor; what is the "chemistry"? That of course "we the people" were not privy to. Does she want "an old White guy", which save Josh, is what she was going to have, who is going to be an "active" VP, such as Obama made Joe, or a passive "sit in your office unless I need something" that Trump did of Pence (and when he "needed something" on Jan 6, Pence didn't deliver)?

Now so far as Joe with Kamala, let the historians weigh in first regarding how active he allowed her to be. My personal verdict is "mixed".

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Command Sgt. Major Walz (Army Nat'l Guard) has a strong pro-veteran and pro-union record. Big tech businesses assembling their troops, however, against this ticket. Stay tuned.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Newsmax "talking heads" were calling Gov. Walz a "Comuninist" last night.
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
Command Sgt. Major Walz (Army Nat’l Guard) has a strong pro-veteran and pro-union record. Big tech businesses assembling their troops, however, against this ticket. Stay tuned.

Retired from NG prior to deployment to Iraq and ran for Congress.

Also held the NG back from stopping Minneapolis burning during the Floyd riots.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
I see "swiftboating" has reared its ugly head after being on the shelf for 20 years. Guess Walz couldn't come up with a case of bone spurs.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
A word or two on Josh Shapiro, who some responsible columnists hold was "slighted" being passed over. He is 51yo, and assuming the "more likely than not" outcome of Trump winning, would be 55 come '28. Absent Trump suspending a Presidential election (he can't, but he will try) so a hand picked successor will become POTUS48 (think Gerry Ford POTUS38 during '74), Josh could well be in the running for "the real prize" (48).

Even if Kamala wins in both '24 AND '28, he will still be a youngster @ 59 come '32.

So best advice, Josh, build on your apparent popularity and job approval, as well as your executive skills, by staying put in the Commonwealth.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This report from CNN regarding an upcoming interview with Joe to air on CBS, is horrifying enough in itself, but I'm fearful that it is on mark.

In short, if "Kamala and Coach" win by anything short of a landslide, expect DC to start resembling the Green Zone in Baghdad. The proceedings on both January 6 and 20 had best be held in a secured area such as at an undisclosed military base.

Finally, I must wonder how much of a "peaceful transition vote" there is out there. That is, voters who really do not support Trump/Vance, but will vote for them simply to avoid another Jan 6, 2021.

irishchieftain
Member # 1473

quote:
In short, if “Kamala and Coach” win by anything short of a landslide, expect DC to start resembling the Green Zone in Baghdad. The proceedings on both January 6 and 20 had best be held in a secured area such as at an undisclosed military base. …
Doing that would make the public believe that the military has taken over the government and that a police state has been instituted. It’s bad enough what’s going on in the UK right now; Starmer has turned out to be worse than I thought he was.

I for my part am still waiting for a logical explanation as to what Ms. Harris meant by “duality to democracy”.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
An interesting thought, Mr. Helfner, that I'm not about to dismiss out of hand.

No one beyond the instigators ever expected a "ceremony" on Jan 6, 2021 to become an attempted "coup", but it did. So I would think that holding such, as well as the Jan 20 "main event" at a secure location away from Wash, is simply taking necessary precautions to ensure there is no repeat performance of what I believe will be considered a dark day in US history.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page