RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Large Scale and Live Steam » Bachman Shay oil conversion

Author Topic: Bachman Shay oil conversion
huffmand
Member # 49

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for huffmand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently purchased a Bachman G-scale Shay, and would like to convert it to represent an oil burner. Does anyone know of a company or companies that sell an oil bunker and a straight shotgun stack for this model? I know at one time a company called Silver Ridge Mining in Mesa, AZ sold an oil bunker for these engines, but I believe they may have gone out of business.

Lacking a supplier, anyone have any good tips on constructing an oil bunker from styrene or brass?

Posts: 2 | From: Columbia, MO USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huffmand,
Noticed you didn't get an answer either. Wish I could help out. But don't know a thing about it. Have you checked Garden Railways? They always have ads from companies that specialize in conversions.

Scott Whitfield

Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
huffmand
Member # 49

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for huffmand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

I did recieve a reply on another forum; apparently Trackside Details makes a shotgun stack for the Shay. Looks like the oil bunker would need to be a scratchbuilt item. Given the variety of oil tanks I have seen in photos, there's quite a bit of leeway as to how they're constructed. In other words, I doubt one could be made that wouldn't be somewhat prototypical! :-)

Dave Huffman

Posts: 2 | From: Columbia, MO USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bos
Member # 42

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Bos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I found a website at www.shaylocomotives.com They might have some inspiration! Good luck.

------------------

Posts: 13 | From: Fallon, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Petropulos
Member # 972

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Petropulos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Garden Railways I've seen ads for oil bunker converions for shays in some of the recent issues.

I have scratch built oil bunkers, one one in styrene and One in brass. I measured oil hatches on sme displayed engines and found the lids to be 20" and 21" and the base 18" on both. Also the valve handle is 5" wide and about 8" tall. On the brass bunker I laminated it with .005 brass wrapper after making the rivets around the top edge of the sides, etc. Viva Vapor

Posts: 3 | From: Wilmington, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page