RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Model Railroading » Large Scale and Live Steam » Mountain building & tunneling

Author Topic: Mountain building & tunneling
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for good advice on building a mountain later in the fall. Tracks already laid so looking for good suggestions for a tunnel on a curve.
Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow is anyone here? Or just not interested in tunnel building? Don 't want to share secrets? Or just out of town? Or lurking?
Posts: 28 | From: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwschreyer
Member # 9

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwschreyer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, not many people hang here...

The best way to build a tunnel is to make it a non-tunnel. Daylight it if you can and use only portals.

If you really have to have a tunnel, don't make it longer than you can reach with your arm.

------------------
- gws
Geologically Improbable Rail Road
The Large Scale Trains Page

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scott whitfield
Member # 56

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for scott whitfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GWS,
Thanks for the reply. Since I was going to build on the corner of the layout, I thought I'd leave the back side partially open or at least accessible for those ever occuring derailments.

Scott Whitfield

NVTiny
Member # 45

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for NVTiny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott:
I don't read this forum much.. maybe I should hehe
George gave good advice! Access is most important! I have two tunnels on my DS&RG, and I kept them short for access to derails inside. Since you are planning to use a cornor, just build the mountain high enough so the train is hidden and it looks like it goes through the mountain. Putting the portals in the right place will give the idea of the tunnel.

------------------
NVTiny
Desert Springs & Rattler Gap Railroad
<a href="http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/dsrg.htm">

Posts: 23 | From: Silver Springs, NV. USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Petropulos
Member # 972

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Petropulos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a good article in one of the recent Garden Railway issues on building a tunnel.

I would also suggest fitting a screen or other type of "gate" at each end when not running trains to keep out spiders, snails (that will cause a derail for sure, I had one once at nighttime). Depending where you live and the critters that reside there.

Posts: 3 | From: Wilmington, CA. USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page