RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » name of old Southern Pacific yard in Los Angeles

Author Topic: name of old Southern Pacific yard in Los Angeles
quepasa
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for quepasa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am first time user so don't know if I have
correct location to ask this. I am trying to
find the name of the old Southern Pacific
maintenance yard in north Los Angeles. I recall it was located somewhat northwest of
the Taylor yard. It was located south of north Main Street, near Lamar Street. My
father was a boilermaker's helper there between 1944-1950. Your help will be greatly
appreciated. Jesse

Posts: 8 | From: Tehachapi, Calif., USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only name I can think of would be the "Bullring Yard".
As I understand it, the Bullring Yard was just north of downtown Los Angeles.
I hope this helps!
--Daniel

[This message has been edited by daniel3197 (edited 06-16-2001).]

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quepasa
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for quepasa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you daniel3197. Needed that to reply
to anticipated questions from Tehachapi
Railroad Club members next meeting since
they were kind enough to publish article
I wrote of my dads work at that yard from
1944 to 1950 when diesels caused him to loss
his job as boilermaker's helper. Jesse

Posts: 8 | From: Tehachapi, Calif., USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel3197
Member # 27

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel3197     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found this webpage that gives the locations of the downtown LA area railroad yards:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1916/
The MAP itself is located here: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/1916/railmap.jpg

Posts: 283 | From: Palo Alto,CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quepasa
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for quepasa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks again Daniel3197. OKAY. GOT IT.
Bruce Petty's sites and with the aid of
an L.A. map, I finally found out what I
wanted. The yard name I was looking for is
the SP coach yard/Alhambra Shops, which
located directly west of the L.A. Union
Station. I was way off base when I said
northwest of Taylor Yard. Following Main
Street north then west as it crosses the
L.A. river, it intersects with Lamar Street
then going south past Alhambra Ave., your
there, at the yard where my dad worked way
back in 1944-1950. I also received permission
from Bruce Petty to use his photos in my
article to be printed in the Tehachapi
Railroad Clubs monthly newsletter next month.
Thanks again. Appreciate your help. Jesse

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
QuePasa (Jesse): if you are ever in the LA area for a day, take the Metrolink train on the San Bernardino line. It goes right past this yard during daylight.
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quepasa
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for quepasa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MPalmer, do you know anything of
whats been going on in that yard the
past few years? Jesse

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I have the right location...it was converted to a piggyback loading facility, and I think it still serves as that. There is a truck entrance that goes below the ex-SP Sunset main. The neighborhood does not look that safe (gang-banger & homeless folks around the area, especially further east of there).
Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quepasa
Member # 870

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for quepasa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, MPalmer, sounds like right locotion, it
was that several years ago, having attended
Lincoln High School northeast of there and
having delivered hot lunches to the yard when
my father worked there as boilermaker's helper. Explains why I haven't been there
since. Jesse

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page