RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » favorite train spots

Author Topic: favorite train spots
Charlie McCandless
Member # 939

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Charlie McCandless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The talk about semaphores reminded me of an activity that helped me get going in railfanning. You all should have your favorite railfanning spots. Please share yours as I will mine.
The Denver & Rio Grande Western line through the Royal Gorge came close to the highway about three miles west of our house. Naturally we saw trains from time to time. My dad would point out. ``The light's red. There is a train coming.''
As time went by I would ask my dad to take to this spot, check the light, and if yellow (we called it orange) or red, we would wait for a train. This place was called first light, or first light west of Pueblo, as opposed to second light or third light, which were farther west. Those nights waiting for trains were wonderful.
This took place until 1967 when the Grande put in Centralized Traffic Control with signals that lighted up only when a train approached. In 1969 the line was relocated to the north so that Lake Pueblo could be built and our spot was gone forever. But that love of train watching was engrained.
My dad is still here but doesn't get around as much as he used to. Trains still run west of Pueblo, though not many. The love of trains is still vivid.

Posts: 13 | From: pueblo, co. usa | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slimjim375
Member # 199

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for slimjim375   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soldier Summit area in Central Utah. Lot of good shots of the trains pulling the grade out oh Helper.

------------------
Jim Harrawood
Utah Rails

Posts: 21 | From: Draper, UT | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I grew up in Chatsworth, California in the 1960's. we would go to Chatsworth Park often. It was right along the Southern Pacific coast line, just as southbound trains emerged from a tunnel. We could hear northbound trains coming from far away. They would honk their horns when crossing streets in the town, then curve around Chatsworth Park. That gave us kids the chance to yell "Train" real loud. Then we would all run up the hill and lay down right next to the track as the train went by. Now there is a fence there, but at the time we could go up to the track, and beyond. I also remember seeing Southern Pacific's Coast Daylight come by sometimes in the evening.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot is between Kingman and Winslow, AZ (mostly around the Flagstaff area). Anywhere from 5-8 BNSF freights come through each hour, along with two Amtrak trains daily. The backround scenery is great, and there is a lot of history in these parts. Canyon Diablo (between Flag and Winslow) is a fun spot to visit. I usually make the trip out to photograph Amtrak, but I also enjoy photographing freights, especially mixed freights (which are nicer to watch than stacks).
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
therailnut
Member # 171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for therailnut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anywhere near Galesburg,IL. Especially the Cameron Connection. Do lots of railfanning out and about.Season is going to be coming to a close here in about 3 months though. Depends on when the snow starts to fly.

[This message has been edited by therailnut (edited 08-21-2001).]

Posts: 24 | From: Galesburg ,IL | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Top Cat
Member # 1044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Top Cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite without a doubt is the loop at Tehachpi, California. A group of us have been going down there once or twice a year since 1988 and have seen many changes.

------------------
T.C. Jones

Posts: 1 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my favorites:

Alexandria, VA, which was a favorite of mine even when I lived up north; now I use the station almost every day. The high volume of VRE, Amtrak, CSX, and Norfolk Southern trains means lots to watch. And there's a waiting room, outdoor benches, rest rooms, and vending machines.

Princeton Jct., NJ: Lots of trains, mostly NJ Transit and Amtrak. Most Amtrak trains blast through at over a hundred miles an hour. Because Princeton Jct. is on a straightaway, you can see trains coming miles away. This station also has a waiting room, rest rooms, and outdoor benches. Trenton is good too, because there are SEPTA trains as well, and many Amtrak trains stop, so you can get a good look at the consist. Rahway is not as nice but has even more traffic because of NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line. I've spent some enjoyable layovers there transferring between the Coast Line and the Northeast Corridor mainline.

------------------
Steve Dunham
Literalman@aol.com
http://www.stevedunham.50megs.com/

Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Dunham
Member # 924

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Dunham   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, folks--I forgot I was looking at the WESTERN railfan page, but if you get out east sometime you can check out my favorites.
Posts: 77 | From: Spotsylvania, VA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Chief
Member # 665

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Super Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite spot is on the BNSF mainline in Southern California. Horshoe Bend in Yorba Linda is a great place to catch mainline action. The line used to be single tracked now it's tripple. There was a time when four Amtrak trains (The Southwest Chief and The Desert Wind) would pass through. Now only the Chief remains. Numerous Metrolink trains also go through. The big action comes from the 60-70 freights per day. This is now the Chicago to Los Angeles mainline since the Pasadena line was abandoned. If you like intermodal and fast freights this is the place to be. Although you can still catch a local train that serves the San Diegan line and hooks up to the maine line at Atwood. Also a few manifest trains will show up. It is a great place to take pictures.

I tried to show a picture below but I'm not sure if it will work since it's a wierd link.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the West Coast:

Refugio State Beach, on the Coast Line. SP/Amtrak Coast Daylight, sugar beet trains, long drags, saw it all in my youth

LAUPT!

In flyover country: Several different spots in and around Kansas City. I live on the Q just beyond Northtown, so I see lots of the KC-Omaha traffic. A few miles away is Argentine yard of the SF, and then Armstrong/Rosedale yard of UP/SP. In the east Bottoms, Neff Yard of the old MP. And of course, KC Union Station!

Overseas: Frankfurt am Main Hauptbahnhof. Constant flow of life.

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page