RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 13)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
Superchief
Member # 3112

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superchief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
correct me if im wrong but i am sure that the santa anna branch crosses the river and goes into the industrial district over by foamex. I also think that the line used to go to tustin through villa park but was taken out

Posts: 15 | From: Orange California USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Wrong" might be too strong a word, but it was in fact the Tustin Branch you are referring to(once ran thru Villa Park and now all removed, except stub accross S.A. River near Sports Arena as far as Marlboro, where industrial lead runs to Foamex). All a legitimate topic in this forum as access is via the S.A. Branch as for as South Anaheim(old Tustin Junction). Nicely illustrated by photo pages created by some contributors here(see also Yahoo OC Board).

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-24-2004).]

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunday April 25 brought rare local action down the Santa Ana branch. The Marlboro Local left Anaheim at 0911 with the 7279/Y1144 and 11 cars and returned as light power at 1005. The last time the Marlboro ran on a Sunday was January 4. And that was due to the Holiday schedule in which there was no local service from December 31st to January 3. The last time prior to January 3rd was July 27, 2003.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScottO
Member # 3201

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for ScottO     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MofW was out on the branches today working around the Locals.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doing any specific kind of maintenance?
(that you noticed?)

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my huge appeals for branchline operations has been train infrequency and weed infested jointed light rail. Up until just recently, just about all of the OC ex SP branches have met the light rail/bad track criteria. With the recent track work that UP has performed, just about everything looks up to mainline standards. All except for Santa Ana and Olive Streets which is starting to look pretty shoddy. On Monday on my way to work, I followed the Costa Mesa Local out by about 10 minutes and observed a big chunk of rail missing at Santa Ana and Anaheim Blvd. How the train got over that is a mystery to me but I got to use the UP 800 number for the first time. It was actually answered by a real human being who took down the information. When I passed by later in the afternoon, the track had been repaired. I posted two pictures under files. On Tuesday morning, a hi-rail made its way over Santa Ana and Olive Streets stopping frequently to inspect the track. On Wednesday, a section of broken rail was replaced at Santa Ana and Harbor Blvd. The returning Costa Mesa local was allowed to tiptoe over the broken rail before the track crew was able to replace it. Santa Ana Street trackage is full of small sections of jointed and welded patchwork. This morning, two more truckloads of street panel was delivered to Anaheim.

See photo
http://www.railforum.com/cgi-bin/postings.cgi?action=reply&forum=Western+US&number=7&topic=000172.cgi&TopicSubject=Santa+Ana+Branch

Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
626, an RCL was spotted Monday morning on the East Wye of Anaheim with the Hauler power.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Orange_County_Railroad_Branches/

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Anybody actually see any RCLs in operation in O.C.?
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, it's been a long time since I've posted here. I'm back in town from school for the next couple weeks (then I have to head back). Basically, what I want to know is if the CM and Marlboro are running the same schedule as when I left them, or have things changed? Brian, if you would email me or just post it here...thanks

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Hey Mark,

Welcome home. Both the Costa Mesa and Marlboro have been pretty much running close to the same schedule. However, it seems like both locals are running about an hour later. The Costa Mesa typically left Anaheim between 0545 and 0645. Lately, it has been leaving after 0700. The Marlboro typically started assembling their train at 1300 but now seem to be starting closer to 1400.

As mentioned on the OC Branchline Yahoo group, it appears some major work down Santa Ana and Olive St are in the works. Anaheim is real good about giving prior notification about road work/closures so I'm hoping for a heads up from the city. Get photos before those sterile concrete panels are put in.

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have posted all of my photos from my trips down to SoCal in recent months at railroadforums.com.
Here's the link: http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16671

Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
A small portion of abandoned street trackage just west of Claudina was pulled up and crudely filled in by a private contractor on Tuesday afternoon.

I noticed a new sign on the Huntington Beach Branch between Broadway and Chrone St. It is a white reflective sign with a number 1 over number 2...1/2. Anyone have any idea what this means.

Circus train coming to town. Last year the circus train ran in two sections. I completely missed the first section but was lucky enough to catch the second part. On Aug 2, all three of my boys start football conditioning hell month so I have decided to take next week off of work to do some preconditioning and agility drills with them. It just so happens to correspond with the time the Circus train should arrive. Needless to say, I plan to do these drills very close to home with a scanner on my hip, a whistle around my neck and a camera within arms reach.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today saw a rare Sunday edition of the Marlboro Local. The LOA31 with the DRGW 3086/UPY 1089 departed Anaheim at 1432 with 4 cars and returned at 1514 as light power. Upon its return to Anaheim, the power remained on the mainline. At 1632, the Circus Train pulled up to Anaheim Depot with the 2276/2291/2418 and 35 cars. The LOA31's power then proceeded to South Anaheim with the Circus train right on it's tail. It was amazing to see how many people lined Santa Ana and Olive St, many with cameras, as the train slowly made its way down the street, blowing its whistle almost continuously. The power for the circus train returned at 1638 and the LOA31 returned to Anaheim at 1859. Six train movements on a Sunday! All this action and I didn't have my video camera with me. Expect to see the second section of the circus train on Tuesday or so.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The second section of the circus train arrived Anaheim this morning at 1033 with the 6326/2300 and 21 cars. The train made a brief stop in front of the depot to pick up a crew member then proceeded down Santa Ana and Olive St with the Huntington Beach Local following by about a minute. The circus train went down the old main line at South Anaheim, then the Huntington Beach Local pulled all the cars except the animal cars back west and then pushed them down the Tustin Branch. After this set of equipment cleared the Metrolink crossing, the Costa Mesa Local running light power, snuck behind both trains and returned to Anaheim. I didn't see the last move but I'm assuming that the Huntington Beach Local returned to the animal cars and pushed them back down the Tustin Branch also. The circus train power started it's return back shortly after but ended up striking a car while returning to street trackage from Olive to Santa Ana St. Both the power from the circus train and Huntington Beach Local got back to Anaheim just past noon.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
As previously noted, an RCL unit made the local lineup in Anaheim. That quickly changed. This morning the UP 905 replaced the RCL unit UP 645 which apparently went bad order. The Buena Park Local also had engine issues and made a rare visit to Ahaheim to pick up the RCL unit UP 598 which was in the consist of the Anaheim Hauler. While the Buena Park Local was picking up the 598, the Huntington Beach Local, finished with their pickup, pulled alongside the depot with the Y1448/Y1208 and three tank cars. The Buena Park Local's power, Y1141/Y1137/598 departed at 0831 allowing the Huntington Beach Local to back down the main, pull forward on the West Wye and resumed it's trip down the branch.

The Y1208, a patched speed lettered SW1500, on the Huntington Beach Local has not been to Anaheim for at least the last 2 1/2 year.

Today's Anaheim Hauler consist included the patched 7906, an SP T-2. Haven't seen a T-2 in Hauler service for a long time.

The out of service street trackage on Santa Ana Street just East of Anaheim St was being removed yesterday...ties and all.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
There was a Sunday edition of the Marlboro yesterday. Unlike the other Sunday editions, this one went out with a fair number of cars and didn't return as light power. It left Anaheim at 1455 with the 905/1089 and 23 cars, returning at 1624 with four cars.

I don't think the Marlboro ran on Friday. When I drove past Anaheim Station at a little after 1500, both sets of local power were already tied up on the engine spur.

MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drove along the street-running section of this line Saturday. There are a lot of new crossbucks along the route, including some at each alley. I only saw one vandalized.

Are they planning on adding "grade crossing panels" along this route? There are a bunch of those panels stacked up near the West Anaheim wye.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Yes, the new crossbucks were installed recently. And yes, I've been told that the plan is to install concrete panels and new welded rail down both Santa Ana and olive streets.

Two interesting visitors are sitting on the Wye at Anaheim, the Y169 and Y598. They arrived on the Sunday Hauler and have been shuffled in front of and behind the Hauler power all week. I overheard the Monday Hauler crew mention that these units are to be taken to South Anaheim. I don't know why they would take them there. Maybe training or maybe for work train duty for Santa Ana and Olive Street. What exactly is a platform unit? Is it like a slug? It sure is unattractive in its primer gray with most of its windows plated over and no fuel tank.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
See this Yahoo site for more updated information.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I just found out some sad information today. As it turns out, both the LOA30 (Huntington Beach Local) and the LOA31 (Marlboro Local) will be going RCL. This means two engineers will be bumped off their jobs. The sled and RCL unit will be going to South Anaheim for the training of the brakemen.

Also, the trackwork on Santa Ana and Olive Street is supposed to start by the end of this month.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today turned out to be a tragic day for yours truly in the football pool but at least is wasn't all that bad for I got to witness a rare edition of a Sunday Marlboro Local...perhaps the last with a real engineer. The LOA31 departed Anaheim at 1405 with the 905/Y1141 and 12 cars. It returned as light power at 1455.

The east wye at Broadway was completely submerged in water this morning. I guess it rained harder then I thought last night.

Lastly, two patched SP SW1500s on the HB Local. An occurrence that is becoming more and more rare.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Monday Hauler arrived on time despite the derailment in Whittier.

The Costa Mesa Local got a real late start Monday. It departed Anaheim at 0905 with the 905/Y1141 and 14 cars.

Some type of construction started just beyond the engine spur at Anaheim Station. The barriers at the end of Adams St as well as the pavement has been removed. Perhaps extending the engine spur to make room for the RCL sled or adding a bumper? Just speculation.

Today's Anaheim Hauler has not yet arrived. Went dead on the law in La Mirada.

As of this posting at 0715 on Tuesday, the Costa Mesa has not yet departed Anaheim. Another late start.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today's Costa Mesa Local went out with the HB Local's power, two SP SW1500s. Both were patched but it was still nice seeing two SP painted units. When the local made the hard right hand turn from Santa Ana St to Olive St it just stopped. I heard the engineer over the radio say that his locomotives stopped pulling. After about 30 seconds, with a huge smoke bellow, it continued on its way. I wonder how it did over the Metrolink.

There is a lot of activity around Anaheim Station. Several truckloads of ballast have been dumped and some grading is taking place east of the engine spur.

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
For the second consecutive Saturday, the Marlboro Local ran. It departed Anaheim at 0759 with the patched 588, sled Y164, SP 2756 and 8 cars. It returned at 1102 as light power. When contacting the Metrolink dispatcher to cross over at CP State College, the crew referred to the local as the "UP Marlboro Extra."
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page