RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » Santa Ana Branch (Page 7)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Santa Ana Branch
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a set of "Saturday" Hauler power on the Wye at Anaheim today. Hopefully there will be a Sunday Marlboro or Huntington Beach Local.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Jansson:
For those interested in such things, there is an MKT gondola in relatively good condition sitting along I-5 just north of Euclid. The herald on both sides is relatively unscathed, obviously it has not spent much time in SoCal. It is the northernmost car in a long cut. As of about 1:00pm.

darn ya beat me to it hehehe...

the KATY on the side really caught my eye as I drove by on the frwy....

then i saw some movement going thru the beach blvd xing....ttheen i had to continue on to my pickup location

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught the Marlboro returning to Anahiem very early this afternoon at 2:30, which is they time they are typically heading out. Either that, or it was a very late inbound Costa Mesa. The power was UP 1693 (GP15-1) and a UP GP38-2 (didn't get number) with 13 cars trailing. It had a Tiona titanium dioxide car in the consist. I've seen these cars along I-5, but never on the Marlboro, which made me wonder if this was perhaps a late Costa Mesa.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsme25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, that was a very late Costa Mesa Local. As of 1540, the Marlboro is still switching around at Anaheim. Looks like it is going to have a long cut of cars.
Posts: 202 | From: Yorba Linda, CA USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Yesterday's Marlboro (Thurs) finally left Anaheim at about 1545 and didn't return until 1850. Today's Marlboro didn't leave until 1550. I don't know what time it returned. Both the Costa Mesa and Marlboro locals ran with the HB local's power, SW1500 1095 and GP15-1 1579. The HB local had a large paper banner on east facing GP38-3 2417 stating "PARAMOUNT, LAST RUN". Hope someone recorded this event.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
This morning at about 0545 I overheard Anaheim Station calling the LOH25 advising them that there was a ribbon train parked in front of the depot and that the engineer on this train was not qualified. I assume meaning not qualified for a run over Metrolink? The ribbon train backed to the North Siding, which I found out was the siding just to the west of Western Ave in Buena Park and the Anaheim Hauler pulled around it. As of 1430, the ribbon train was still in the North Siding with 3 UP six axle road units. The lead unit was the 9105. I don't know where it is going to drop its welded rail. All branches leading out of Anaheim have already been rehabilitated except for the Paramount Branch. Keep your ears and eyes open. Also, the Costa Mesa Local used the power that the HB local used for it's last run down the Paramount Branch and still had the large "PARAMOUNT, LAST RUN" banner on the engineer side of the lead unit.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How's this for likely use of welded rail last reported at B.P. at "North Siding".
U.P. intends to rebuild entire Tustin Branch and extend it accross Irvine Ranch, thus fulfilling S.P.'s original proclaimed intent to push through toward San Diego! Actually I suspect it is for use in B.P. industrial park, where new ties were seen distributed already on my visit last month.

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Steve, I think you are right in that they will be laying rail in the BP industrial area. I drove past this morning and noticed that the power was gone. I'm still hoping they will be laying rail somewhere on the Tustin or Santa Ana branch. I'd sure like to see some six axle road power running down Santa Ana St. If they do run this train down to Tustin or Costa Mesa, it will certainly be Saturday as I will not be in the area on that day.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The power for the Costa Mesa/Marlboro is gone from Anaheim Depot as is the ribbon train. There is a three unit set of SP road power on the west end of the north siding where the ribbon train was. Does anyone know where the ribbon train may have gone? I've been it watching all week long and now it seems to have vanished. As per my prediction, it would go to work this Saturday since I wouldn't be around.
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how will the new connection from the San Pedro Sub affect operations in Anaheim? Will any of the locals, or the Hauler, operate via a different route?

Thanks in Advance,

Landon

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The only change that I am aware of is the HB local will not have to traverse the Paramount Branch. It has been returning from it's run at about 3 to 4 p.m. verses 7 to 8 p.m. as was the case when it visited the Paramount refinery. The HB is still running daily, however, I'm not sure that will continue. The loss of the refinery business from this end is at least several hundred loads and empties per month that this job no longer handles.
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
The power for the Costa Mesa/Marlboro is gone from Anaheim Depot as is the ribbon train. There is a three unit set of SP road power on the west end of the north siding where the ribbon train was. Does anyone know where the ribbon train may have gone? I've been it watching all week long and now it seems to have vanished. As per my prediction, it would go to work this Saturday since I wouldn't be around.

I saw railstrip cars parked along the 5 around manchester/beach area on thursday. ALong with a few MOW looking vehicles. I could look real good, going by it at 55 in the bus.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was out watching the Buena Park switcher this afternoon and notices a set of SP road power parked at the siding next to I-5 just beyond Knott Avenue. All three were clean unrenumbered SP units, although I didn't see any welded rail train.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveD     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rail was reported being dropped on "Tustin Branch" around noon today on another board.
If this is same mystery RW train reported here earlier, Brian's prediction of it finally coming into view while he's out of town was correct. Too bad, too, 'cuz that means he wasn't home recording the move past his trackside Anaheim home. Interesting note about the unpatched SP power at B.P., tho.

Posts: 216 | From: San Carlos, CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
As of 9:15 this evening, the Costa Mesa/Marlboro power was still absent. I presume that's the power being used on the ribbon train. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open to see if it returns sometime tonight or early morning.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Today the Marlboro left with a single unit, east facing UP 351 which was dropped off by the departing Friday evening Anaheim Hauler. The missing normal power is still gone. I'm presumming it's on the rail train. I overheard the crew on the radio stating that the remaining unit, the UP 1095, was "red tagged" and couldn't be used. I wonder what the Huntington Beach Local is going to use today for power.
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UP 1693 and UP 2417 (the missing power) brought the empty welded rail train from the Marlboro area at 11:30am today. I was able to see the train at the Cerritos crossing very near to MP 512, South Anaheim and again while street running on Santa Ana Avenue.

The aforementioned power then was on duty for the Marlboro local and was observed from my office switching out the Weyerhauser plant between 3:00 and 4:00 pm.

I haven't had a chance to discover where the rail was dropped, but that sure seems like a lot of rail just for old Tustin Branch... Maybe it is as SteveD suggested, they're gonna lay rail all the way to San Diego !!

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
Thanks to a heads up from Anaheim Al, I got to video the rail train traversing Santa Ana Street. Always neat to see something different on the branch. Like Anaheim Al was saying, it sure does seem like a pretty big capital investment to be laying welded rail on the old Tustin Branch. Also, I observed the cut of cars that the HB local brought back today. It had a string of about 10 black tanks! I'm wondering if the HB local did another run down the Paramount Branch. I'm going to investigate tomorrow.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
A.A. posted: "I haven't had a chance to discover where the rail was dropped, but that sure seems like a lot of rail just for old Tustin Branch... Maybe it is as SteveD suggested, they're gonna lay rail all the way to San Diego".

------------------
Although I never saw an actual legal decision(nor any newspaper account reporting it or the legendary standoff between S.P. and Irvine Ranch employees), I presume it was issued and still in effect, baring S.P. or its successor from trespassing accross the ranch to build such a road. I guess they had no problem with OERM's S.P. loco running on the ranch to remove SFe industrial trackage, though, or the occassional S.P. power that conveyed trona or auto trains over BNSF Surf Line a few years ago. Could be that S.P. only made a lotta noise in order to get San Diego to cough up some terminal real estate back in the 19th century, knowing Irvine would balk, but the company that built the Santa Ana Branch was, after all, the Los Angeles& San Diego R.R.

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SteveD:
A.A. posted: "I haven't had a chance to discover where the rail was dropped, but that sure seems like a lot of rail just for old Tustin Branch... Maybe it is as SteveD suggested, they're gonna lay rail all the way to San Diego".

Today in the bus on the 57, I looked down at the line by the Pond and wow! CWR was laid beside the old tracks. So that's where at least some of it went.
I wonder if they will lay CWR at Santa Ana St, would make their ride a little smoother.

[This message has been edited by coach34135 (edited 04-09-2003).]

atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Sounds nice, but it seems unlikely. Laying CWR on the street trackage creates the logistical problem of having to shut down several blocks, then dig up the street, pull up the old rail and ties and lay the new. You're probably looking at a several week job. I doubt the city of Anaheim would allow UP to create such a traffic nightmare.

[This message has been edited by atsf3751 (edited 04-09-2003).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The redevelopement plans for downtown Anaheim, which includes Santa Ana St, is to remove the street trackage altogether. The artists renditions of what Santa Ana St will look like are quite impressive. However, I have a feeling that the city will have to incorporate this line into their plans. Too much traffic, no alternative route and the railroad was there first. I imagine the trackage on Santa Ana St will have to be eventually rehabilitated as it is in pretty bad shape. All branches out of Anaheim have been already rehabilitated with CWR being dropped on the old Tustin branch. I can't imagine UP not laying CWR down Santa Ana and Olive Streets in the near future.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Rebuilding all the street trackage in Anaheim would indeed by a strain, but on a historical note, the streets were in fact there before the railroad. However the R.R. has a franchise to occupy the streets indefinitely, a measure the city fathers were apparently willing to make to get S.P. to come downtown after local passengers and citizens had to settle for the the inconvenience of aWest Anaheim
terminus originally(where the yard office is now).For many years SP had an alternate route past town along the I-5 r-o-w but gave that up long ago for highway construction. Later U.P. had an alternate route into Anaheim via La Habra and Fullerton but gave that up when abandoning its Anaheim Branch thru Fullerton for Metrolink expansion along BNSF. Now it would take some pretty generous trackage rights concessions from a major competitor or SCRRA to access the city w/o street trackage.

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-15-2003).]

LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So anyone going to F.R.P.A. Rail Days in three weeks?
Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
FRPA Rail Days? Mighta, but it falls on same weekend as two Bay Area events (GGRM Spring Open House, and CP Maggie BBQ) closer to my current home.
BTW, might I suggest such inquiries be attached to thread already opened on Rail Days subject on the TW Events page, so I don't get hopeful the number increment for this thread night mean some added news has been posted on on this thread's subject?

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-14-2003).]

coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LakeForestLandon:
So anyone going to F.R.P.A. Rail Days in three weeks?

(raises hand) MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steve
I think that saying that the old SP direct line between West Anaheim and West Anaheim Jct. was removed for freeway construction is a bit of an over statement. However in the 1930s, the construction of Manchester Blvd. as Bypass US101 was, I guess, much like a freeway opening today.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
I've added band-new Santa Ana and Huntington Beach branch pages to my website. I also added some new photos of some BNSF locals too. Go check it out!
http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/socalrailfan/index.html

...and here's a little preview just for those of you who long to see a little street-running action

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I was jolted out of bed this morning at 0640 to the sound of airhorns. In my sleep induced stuper I thought it was a weekday not Easter Sunday. Much to my surprise, the Marlboro was running today. It departed Anaheim as light power 2417/1696 and returned 45 minutes later with 5 "TOE" boxcars in tow. The Sunday edition of the Marlboro typically goes on duty at around 1000-1100. I've never seen it this early on a Sunday. I wonder why it was so important to have an Easter Sunday local pick up those 5 boxcars. I'm not complaining. Wish it happened more often. Also, the engineer was someone I don't think was a regular to this line. He blew his horn loudly and frequently all the way down Santa Ana and Olive Street. Probably not necessary for an early Sunday morning run, but it was music to my ears. Interestingly, both the 2417 and 1693 (neither which is of SP herritage I think) have been fitted with SP type airhorns which, in my opinion, play a tune unmatched by any other. On his return trip I heard him enter Olive Street which gave me about a 7 minute heads up. Happy Easter everyone!
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sunday operation has been interesting of late. Lets look at what was scheduled in the past.
The Costa Mesa was many years ago a seven day aweek job, but later was reduced to M-Sa and more recently just to M-F. The Maralboro and Huntington Beach switcherd have been Su-F job for sometime, however recently one or the other or both have been blanked on Sundays.
I don't know how the jobs are bulletined and what the limits of work are. Watching Sunday operation and the times that the jobs went to work I got the impression that one of the crews would have to work, but could go either direction. It seemed that they would come in at the HB time.

Posts: 50 | From: Orange Calif | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by bsme25:
I wonder why it was so important to have an Easter Sunday local pick up those 5 boxcars.

Thats obvious, he wanted to get that job done so he could go home and get his easter dinner!

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
I figured those five TOE boxcars for some reason had to be picked up by the Sunday evening Anaheim Hauler, hence the early Sunday morning pickup by the Marlboro. As of this afternoon, those five TOE boxcars were still sitting on the western most siding in Anaheim. So again, just wondering why a holiday Sunday local. Not complaining, just wondering. Also, today's returning Marlboro had 38 cars. It arrived Anaheim at about 1820. The Huntington Beach local returned this afternoon with a single boxcar.
Myford Browning
Member # 1987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myford Browning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who usually gets the TOE boxcars The Register or Weyerhauser or someone else?
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These Tee-Ohh-Eee's go to the Weyerhauser Paper facility at the Ball Road crossing. I would guess that Weyerhauser needed the empties switched out, and loads brought in. UP-Anaheim is using the South Anaheim storage (stub ??) tracks to hold the loads for Weyerhauser. During times of high volume, the CM local will switch out empties and loads in the morning, then the Marlboro doing the same in the late afternoon.

I haven't counted the cars in the past few weeks, but 20 to 30 cars can staged in various spurs and sidings, between Ball Road and Cerritos, plus the storage tracks at South Anaheim.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
re: 38 cars on the returning Marlboro

I saw the CM local running light back to Anaheim station a few days ago. I found the empties at the interchange tracks at CP College. There were a good 18 or 20 cars there. Therefore, I don't think that all of those 38 are from the Marlboro job.

My assumption... No room to park those cars in front of the station, nor in the sidings along the freeway (what are their names ??), so... leave them at the interchange tracks, let the Marlboro build their train without added congestion, then have the Marlboro pick-up the empties on her way home... ??

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
Freeway Siding Names: Long Pass and Extension, also North and South Storage Tracks, respectively, check your SPINS book, now that you're a proud owner:>).
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
I just took a closer look a the track dropped to the sides of the line by the Pond(forgive me, I can't keep track of all the names of these lines) and the track pieces are connected together by old conventional style brackets...the track itself didnt look like it was switched to new stuff yet, maybe they are just dropping new non-CWR? Am I missing something.
SteveD
Member # 43

Rate Member
There is a Huntington Beach thread on trainorders.com that includes pix of the dropped CWR in the vicinity of the S.A. River...looks like ribbon rail to me, and pretty heavy, too,(maybe 120#?).

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by SteveD (edited 04-29-2003).]

bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro ran for the second Sunday in a row. It left Anaheim at about 0630 as light power 2417/1693, and arrived back at 0710 with 5 boxcars just like last Sunday. It seemed that the only time the Marlboro would run is if there was a Saturday Hauler. There were no haulers this Saturday or last Saturday shattering that operating theory.
bsme25
Member # 1505

Rate Member
The Marlboro ran now for the third Sunday in a row. It left Anaheim at 0745 with the usual 2417 and 1693. Unlike the past two "light power" Sunday's, this time the local actually had 1 SP boxcar. As with the last two Sunday's, the Marlboro returned within the hour at 0835 with 2 SP boxcars, 3 TOE boxcars and an empty center beam lumber car. All this again with no Saturday Hauler. The locals that I witnessed this week were pretty heavy. The Monday Costa Mesa left with 20 cars, I didn't see the return trip. Monday's Marlboro left with 20 cars also and returned with 26. Thurs Costa Mesa left with 19 cars and Friday's Marlboro returned with 18. Wonder what the car count was on the other locals that I didn't see.
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page