RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Western US » San Diego Sub Tie Replacement

Author Topic: San Diego Sub Tie Replacement
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw a post on T.O. about a tie replacement project south of Orange, and how Irvine - San Diego service will be bus only for 1 month. Anyone have more specific details? I could not find anything on the Metrolink or Amtrak sites.

Thanks in advance,

Landon

Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmiller
Member # 341

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for rmiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sure hope that isn't true, as I'm due to ride that route next weekend.
Posts: 181 | From: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing further on T.O.; call the railroad and confirm.
Posts: 16 | From: Lake Forest, CA. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The daytime Surfliners are running. A sign at the La veta crossing indicated that it would be closed evenings for a few days. As I sit here at 9:55 PM, I have to reportthat I haven't heard any horns in a long time. Metrolink seems to have their morning runs going at 5:00 AM so it may be a evening - early morning work window.
Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A separate but related question is whether BNSF is cancelling the nightly San Diego - Barstow freight that rolls through south O. C. after midnight.
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rode the "iron triangle" Thursday morning (Fullerton-Santa Ana-San Bernardino-LA-Fullerton) and there was no mention of track closures. As the earlier post mentioned it must be a "night window" when the trackwork is being done.
I wouldn't think tie replacement would take a month if they could work throughout the day.

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LakeForestLandon
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LakeForestLandon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an errand in the neighborhood today, so I drove by the closed La Veta crossing. The pavement and sidewalks across the crossing have been completely cut and removed. There are detours and closures (marked "local traffic only") on La Veta as far back as Glassell and Batavia. A Surfliner went through while I was observing, at what looked like reduced speed for that area.

Also there is a pile of ties and ballast at Lincoln and Fairhaven, and stacks of ties along Lincoln from Fairhaven to 17th.

cajon
Member # 40

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cajon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tie replacement work should be completed by 1/6/3 b/4 1st AM trains.
Posts: 249 | From: Downey CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dash-al
Member # 2020

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dash-al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I saw a xerox'd copy of a notice regarding some temp bus service on metrolink rails at the Fullerton station on Friday morning while enroute to the LA Public Library via a Surfliner and the redline. No sign of tie replacement equipment seen between Fullerton and Union Station.

I didn't take notice of the particulars, but I recall that service is to be back to normal for the Monday morning commute.

------------------

anaheim-al

photography is my elixir

Posts: 77 | From: anaheim, california, USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
john1082
Member # 2068

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for john1082     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crews were working the La Veta crossing at 1:00 PM on Sunday
Posts: 37 | From: Orange, CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coach34135
Member # 1979

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for coach34135     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it has to do with it, I saw a pack of ties sitting by the Lincoln SNA track. I knew they were gonna work on this.
Posts: 139 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page