RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Central US » What kind of Locomotive is this?

Author Topic: What kind of Locomotive is this?
Franklin
Member # 6925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franklin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am also new to trainspotting. I live in Chicago, which as you all know is the train capital of our great country. I just discovered a small abandoned yard on the internet. The yard is just south of Cermak Road and just east of Cicero Avenue, a few miles west of Chinatown. In the yard is a turntable, abandoned roundhouse, and what I believe to be an EMD GP Series switcher attached to several freight cars and covered in graffetee.

I can not tell what Railroad it ran on or see its number because as you can see below, local teenagers have really gone to work with the spraypaint. Once it warms up and the snow is gone, I will ride my bike there after school to get some shots.

So,
Can any of you more experienced railfans tell me what particular model of Diesel Locomotive this is.

Thanks, Franklin

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago/Peoria, Illinois/ Union Pier, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Franklin
Member # 6925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franklin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These photos of the locomotive were taken by a guy named Nervous Nick on November 20, 2006

-

-

-

Posts: 3 | From: Chicago/Peoria, Illinois/ Union Pier, Michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess is that it's a GP7 or GP9 rebuilt with a short hood. Those early GPs were rebuilt so often it's not easy to tell. It might even be a GP10 or GP11.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Santa Fe buff
Member # 8125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Santa Fe buff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks like the GP11. I remember the paint scheme for the locomotive, but I'll have to look that up...Poor thing, the company went out of busniess several years ago, I remember that. I HATE TEENS THAT DO THAT TO POOR ENGINES!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Modeling the ATSF-BNSF crossover times of the 1990s. HO scale.

Posts: 23 | From: IL in the USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
espeefoamer
Member # 2815

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for espeefoamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the louvers under the cab,it appears to be a GP7,but those got switched around during shoppings.

--------------------
Trust Jesus,Ride Amtrak.
Check out the NEW Western Rail
http://rrredneck.proboards99.com./index.cgi

Posts: 288 | From: Fullerton,ca,USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page