RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Railfans » Eastern US » Modern Engine : Horsepower and Liter size

Author Topic: Modern Engine : Horsepower and Liter size
tewinter
Member # 1472

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tewinter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just curious about the size of the engine in today's train engine. How many liters and horspower etc. Id appreciate any responses. Thank you very much!!
Posts: 1 | From: Greensboro | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a variety of sizes of engines these days, with 3500-6000 HP, but most freight units run between ~4000 and ~5500 HP.
Amtrak's GE P42's have 4200 HP, 16 cyl. engines.
BNSF's (and other roads) GE C44-9W's have 4400 HP.
EMD makes some (SD90MAC's) geared for as much as 6000 HP.
If you're interested, you should locate a book called Modern Diesel Locomotives by Hans Halberstadt. It has a lot of information in it which you might find useful...
Good luck,
Eric

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikman
Member # 624

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to give you some idea, a 16 cylinder 567 GM engine is 9072 cubic inches or roughly 149 litres, a 16/645 GM is 10320 cubic inches or roughly 170 litres and a 16/710 GM is 11360 cubic inches or roughly 187 litres displacement. In case you're unaware the 567, 645 and 710 figures relate to the capacity of a single cylinder which when multiplyed by the amount of cylinders in the engine gives you its size. I have a feeling the GE 7FDL type engine is 645 (or thereabouts) per cylinder but am not 100% sure on that. I think my calculations are fairly accurate but couldn't find a formula to change cubic inches to litres so I'm sorry if they're not accurate!
Posts: 4 | From: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mikman: Your conversions between liters and cubic inches seems to be right on the money.

The formula is this: CID × 0.016387 = Liters. Conversely, Liters ÷ 0.016387 = cubic inches.

This is coming from someone who'd like to see a 7.4-liter (454 cid) big-block V8 return to the Corvette, even though the new Z06, a 350-405 hp, is fast enough...

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page